This is what happens when I stay home from work, I get creative 🙂
I’ve been using Joseph’s Middle East Bakery pita bread a lot lately, they’re just so damn useful! They’re 8 carbs total, 4 net and you can split them into 2. Lowest net carb “protein holder” around – unless you use my cheese wrap method, but who has time for that all the time?!
My only issue with these pita breads is that when you split them in 2, each piece is very thin and therefore very flimsy. How do I combat that you ask? I saute them! Not sure if saute is the best word but whatevs lol
- At first, I readied a serving of broccoli in the microwave in water for 4 minutes. (I buy the steam bags that come with 4 servings.)
- I melted some butter in a small pan and added some spices (oregano and black pepper – my butter was salted).
- I then placed 1 of the pitas pieces in the pan on the butter and let it soak and cook. Took it off when I saw the slightest color change in the pita. (Heat was at medium) 2x
- I let both rest while I prepared the filling: mozzarella (less then 1/2 cup), 1/4 cup ricotta, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper and crushed red pepper.
- I flipped the pitas so they were butter face down and layered the toppings: chopped up broccoli, cheese mix and bacon bits.
- I let it broil for a few minutes and the edges got burnt, no biggie, still tasted GREAT.
The filling could’ve use some protein but you work with what you have!