I’ve been saying I wanted to make low carb flan since I started Keto in 2013 and now I finally did. Twice.
First time, not so good. This time, oh baby!
I didn’t stick to 1 recipe in particular – I took from a bunch, simplified some and did it my way. 🙂
You’ll need ramekins (or something like them to cook in water). I bought a 4 pack from Bed Bath & Beyond for $7.99.
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 9 drops EZ-Sweetz
- 4 tbs Jordan’s Skinny Gourmet Caramel Syrup (Sugar Free)
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter or spray the ramekins to make them non-stickish and drop a tbs of the caramel syrup in each.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients for 3 to 4 minutes. (I used an immersion blender since I don’t have a regular blender)
- Pour into 2 ramekin dishes and place them in a bigger oven pan filled with water about half way.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until knife comes up dry(ish), mine took 45 min.
- Let them cool down for about 30 min and then take them out of the water. Let them rest for another 30 min and then put them in the fridge for a minimum of 2-3 hours. (I left mine in the fridge overnight)
- The KEY here (for me) is Jordan’s Surgar Free Caramel Syrup – it smells like flan on it’s own. My mother bought it for me on whim and it’s been great! She found it at Ross of all places.
- The top does get a bit toasty and smells like egg, but that’s it. No eggy flavor inside. Next time I’ll just scrape the top crusty bit off before I flip it on plate.
- After I flipped it onto a plate, I pour some more syrup on it since it’s missing the sugar glaze. That’s my next project, finding a low carb way of getting that traditional flan glaze!
- Also, I actually used 1 full tsp of vanilla extract but I feel like it’s a bit over powering at times so I reduced the amount.